Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fiction into Film

Second semester of my senior year in college I had the opportunity to take a class that was about a topic that it turned out I was very interested in. The class was Film and Literature. And though the class was in Spanish, I found that comparing movies with the literature from which they were derived is something that I enjoy doing. I loved discussing the methods the director used to compensate for the narrator or other things that were hard to translate from book to film.

Every book's made into a movie. You should go see the movie; you don't have to read a book. But book people are getting smart, they're called authors, they'll re-release the book when a movie comes out. Put a picture of the actor on the cover: trick people who like movies into buying the books. Like, 'Fight Club' is a movie made out of a book; they re-released it, people are like, 'Oh, Brad Pitt's in this book. So far just words. 'Fight Club' the first rule of you should have been: don't be a book. I will fight you, book.' Then that guy fights that book and it turns out in the end that guy is that book.--Myq Kaplan

Now, while I spent 18 weeks analyzing film and literature, it only just recently occurred to me that maybe I should blog about my opinions on the book vs. the movie. I've always been one of those people who hates when people don't read the book before they watch the movies on stuff like Harry Potter. But what really started my interest in blogging about this topic was when I went to visit Harrisonburg in April and I was sitting at Beau's baseball game and his sister, Chelsea and I got to talk about books and movies. Needless to say, we missed a couple innings of the game, discussing some of Nicholas Sparks' books vs the movies they were made into.

So here goes the start on this journey. I don't know how long this will last but if you have any suggestions, I'm willing to hear them. Also feel free to leave your opinions in the comment section. And if you haven't read the book or seen the movie, by all means, please go read and watch so we can discuss and analyze!

0 comments:

Post a Comment