Thursday, June 23, 2011

DHS Class of 2011

Dinwiddie's Class of 2011 has a special place in my heart. Firstly, I've known a lot of those kids since they were in kindergarten. I watched them interact with each other at Skate Nights while they were in elementary school.

They were the first graduating class for whom I got to substitute teach since November. I've watched them prepare college applications. I've read scholarship essays for them. I've given them advice about college.


Class of 2011 was also the largest class to ever graduate from Dinwiddie High School, at about 397 students.

Also, this is the last graduation that I was obligated by law to go to. Not exactly by law, but my youngest sister graduated this year. Not only did she just simply graduate, she graduated at the top of her class! We are immensely proud.

As much as we were looking forward to this graduation, I can say that it did not go as planned. Who are we kidding?; it is Dinwiddie. Has anyone heard about last year's?

Anyway, graduation was slated for Thursday. June 16 at 7 p.m. We arrived at 5 p.m. to get to good seats, since we are the family of the valedictorian. We brought with us huge umbrellas as gray clouds were looming above us with the threat of rain.

It poured down at least twice while we were sitting there. We were then told that a storm was moving our way, but that graduation has not been cancelled. They told us that they will try and get the ceremony started by 7:30 p.m., which was very confusing because it was supposed to start at 7.

Anyway, the weather was perfect from about 7:00 to 7:30 and they finally bring the graduates out. As soon as they were all lined up, it thundered and there was lightning off in the distance. The principal came out and told us that graduation was not cancelled but that they were taking the graduates back inside until further notice.

We sat and waited for the weather to pass. They finally began at 8:10. They opted to present the diplomas first, speeches after that, and to do away with announcing scholarships and perfect attendance awards. It kind of sucked that they did it this way, but at least we finally got through graduation!

My sister, the valedictorian, receiving her diploma.

My sisters and I, all graduates of Dinwiddie High School now!



0 comments:

Post a Comment