Thursday, February 16, 2012

My First 8K

While many of you were still in your warm beds on Sunday morning, I was preparing to take on the most challenging athletic feat of my life. 

You see, I woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday in preparation for the 8K I was running in Midlothian! As expected the temperature was somewhere in the low 20s with a windchill factor of oh about, 9 degrees. No big deal. 

I was already a little anxious but knowing that I would have to be running in such cold temperatures was the icing on the cake! I've only run one race in my life and that was my 5K back in October 2010.

However, the race didn't go as bad as I thought it would. Even though, it turns out that I picked one of the hilliest races that I could have picked. The first hill of the race was a monster! I wish I had a photo to show you. 


Click here for a map.

Anyway, I ran the entire race. I don't know how I did it. My official time was 53:44, which was right about what I thought it would be. 




On Sunday night, there was a pretty awesome award show going on. No, I'm not talking about the Grammy's. I'm talking about The Elby's. Wait, you've never heard of The Elby's? Do you live under a rock?

No worries because I hadn't heard of them until I was invited by a friend to attend them. And this was the inaugural year of The Elby's so there was a good reason I hadn't heard of them. The Elby's are a culinary awards show for restaurants and chefs located in Richmond, Va. 

So yes, after running an 8K in the morning, I got all dolled up and put on heels to attend The Elby's. I had an amazing time! I learned that apparently there are a ton of restaurants I need to try out.

After the awards show and the after party, we went to Can Can, a super classy restaurant in Carytown. The menu was French to me and while I couldn't bring myself to be as adventurous in my food choices as the others I was with, I had an amazing cheeseburger. I did share a pretty adventurous dessert; it was goat cheese something or other. I really should have brought my camera because it looked too pretty to eat!

All in all, it was a perfect day with my athletic accomplishment and the opportunity to attend such a classy event that same night!


0 comments:

Post a Comment